I’ve got a product hit-list that I’m working through.
In searching for organic skincare and makeup, I’ve come across a lot of blog posts and YouTube videos about the anti-haul, i.e. things that people are not buying, as opposed to what they have bought. My favourite of these bloggers is Renee over at Bad Outfit, Good Lipstick.
A particular kind of post that caught my eye was basically like a product-hit list: a collection of products that the bloggers wanted to use up by the end of the year.
In my transition to my organic skincare and makeup, I’m going to use up everything in my current stockpile. I don’t want to waste what I already have, aka create more problems in the pursuit of something that feels better for me personally.
Here’s a list of the things I’m going to use up by December :
- Marc Jacobs lip cream in #242, “No Angel.” I bought this lipstick as a bridesmaid for wedding last summer to do a neutral lip that matched the bride’s favourite lipstick. We used them in conjunction with another lipstick from Clinique – the Chubbie Stick in “Curviest Carmel” which I love despite its terrible name, and which I have nearly used up. By contrast, I’ve used very little of the Marc Jacobs lipstick since then because it’s very brown. When I used it alone I would pat it on very, very lightly and I’d usually decide not to reapply throughout the day. When I realised I could use it with the next product on the list, everything changed!
- L’Oreal Paris Rouge Caresse lipstick #301, “Dating Coral.” I bought this in 2015 after using up a Dior lipstick. I wanted to replace the Dior without spending the same amount of money, and while this lipstick definitely didn’t do that, I was happy with it. I have about a quarter of the tube left, and I’ve been using it under my Marc Jacobs lipstick. The colour they make is not exactly exciting; it looks essentially like Curviest Caramel. Still, I love that neutral-pink, so I’m really happy to keep using up these two lipsticks.
- Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse. E got this dry oil for me last year because I was really stressed (what else is new?) and he wanted something to use in back massages. We stopped using it awhile back, but I’ve been using it on my legs and arms as of late. I am honestly surprised at how moisturising it is and it hasn’t actually stained any sheets or bed shirts. The bottle is going pretty quickly, and as its a special edition bottle I may keep it for decoration once it’s used up.
- Smith’s Lip Balm in Minted Rose. This was a purchase I made while visiting my family over the holidays because I was so cold and my lips were amazingly chapped. I’ve been using it at night and we’ll see if I have to start carrying it with me to be finished with it by the end of the year. I have way too many balms and chapsticks, so I’m really serious about staying moisturised and using them up!
- Neutrogena’s Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask. Another holiday purchase that I definitely will use up by summer. I think my hair has been in need of a protein mask, and this one just isn’t that. I’ve used it for a few years but it’s just doesn’t have the same kick anymore.
- OGX’s Renewing Argan Oil Of Morocco Penetrating Oil. Okay honestly…. I bought this is in a moment of dry haired weakness and it is so sticky. It’s difficult to use on dry or damp hair, so I use it as a mask before I wash my hair.
- Agave Healing Oil Treatment. This is a purchase that has come with me since 2013 and I will be so sad to finish it. It is an amazing oil, light enough to apply to dry hair a few times a week. It smells a little bit like sugar and I’m completely in love with it. There’s been a rash of knock off oil treatments on Amazon, so I won’t be purchasing this again but I really wish that I could. That said, the bottle is dark class with a sturdy plastic pump, so I will decant another product into it once it’s empty (and clean!)
This list is a little ambitious, but I’ll be able to work my way through most of these products by the end of the year. I’m going to avoid replacing anything from this list, considering that I have several lipsticks and hair oils still in reserve. I’m planning on a check-in at the end of August to see how things are coming along.